A running toilet can be a major annoyance. Not only does it create constant noise, but it also wastes water and leads to higher water bills. If you’re experiencing a running toilet in your Austin, Texas home, there are a few common causes and potential fixes to be aware of.
Common Causes of Running Toilets
- Flapper Valve Issues: The flapper valve is responsible for controlling the flow of water from the tank into the bowl. If the flapper valve is damaged, warped, or not sealing properly, water can continue to flow into the bowl and cause the toilet to run.
- Faulty Fill Valve: The fill valve is responsible for refilling the toilet tank after each flush. If the fill valve is not functioning correctly, it can cause the tank to overfill, leading to a running toilet.
- High Water Pressure: If your home has high water pressure, it can cause the fill valve to malfunction and result in a running toilet.
- Mineral Buildup: Over time, mineral buildup in the toilet tank can prevent the flapper valve from sealing properly, leading to a running toilet.
Fixing a Running Toilet
If you’re experiencing a running toilet, there are a few potential fixes that you can try before calling in a plumber:
- Adjust the Flapper Valve: Sometimes, the flapper valve just needs a simple adjustment to fix a running toilet. Check to make sure the chain connecting the flapper valve to the flush handle is not too tight or too loose, and adjust it as needed.
- Replace the Flapper Valve: If the flapper valve is damaged or not sealing properly, it may need to be replaced. This is a relatively simple DIY fix that can be done with a new flapper valve and a few basic tools.
- Adjust the Fill Valve: If the fill valve is not functioning correctly, it may need to be adjusted or replaced. This is a more complex fix that may require the help of a plumber.
- Clean the Tank: If mineral buildup is causing the flapper valve to malfunction, cleaning the tank with a descaling solution can often fix the issue.
When to Call a Plumber
If you’ve tried the above fixes and your toilet is still running, it’s time to call in a professional plumber like Honest Plumbing & Air. We can diagnose the issue and determine whether the problem is with the toilet itself or a more significant plumbing issue.
If you need help with a running toilet or any other plumbing issue, don’t hesitate to contact us. Our experienced plumbers are here to help keep your home’s plumbing in top condition.